Thursday, January 22, 2009

Jay Jay Pistolet

'"I hate my voice...I think my lyrics are bad too", says singer/songwriter Justin Hayward-Young, aka Jay Jay Pistolet, as he flits from modest martydom to forthright faith, "but I already know that one day I'm going to be really good but I don't think I'm there yet." One thing's for certain, though, his new release 'Happy Birthday You' is a haunting, vintage, post-war collection of naïve love songs produced by Charlie Fink of Noah & The Whale fame. Anti-folk associations aside, Justin should be rescued from the oversaturated gaggle of musicians circulating at the moment. "When people criticise me, it's always that I'm not offering anything new. But I don't think that's really that bad...if I wanted to do something new I'd probably sit on a computer all day and make weird sounds. All I want to do is make nice songs."
- The Fly, Jan 2009
This track was filmed for the Fly, it's beautiful. I also recommend We Are Free, it's a much bigger sound similar to that of Bright Eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment